Reflect Outdoor Balm - Unrivalled Purity Potency and Freshness
Why do we need natural sun protection?
We all know that getting sunburnt is not a good idea and that sunscreen is the way to prevent sunburn... but what are those chemicals in commercial sunscreens? Latest research is beginning to discover some serious problems:
- Octyl-methoxycinnamate – produces free radicals (singlet molecular oxygen) known to be toxic to cells(1)
- Titanium dioxide – causes DNA damage (the cells genetic material) due to superoxide radicals, active oxygen radicals and hydroxyl radicals when exposed to light(2)(3)(4)
- Oxybenzone – is rapidly oxidised in the presence of light and inactivates important antioxidant systems in the skin (the skin’s natural protection system)(5)
- PABA – produces free radicals in the presence of light(1)
- Cinoxate – causes DNA damage (sister chromatid exchanges)(6)
Medical Research Papers: (1) Chem Res Toxicol 1996 Apr-May; 9(3):605-9 ; (2) Mutat Res 2000 Mar 3; 466(1):1-7 ; (3) Free Radic Biol Med 1999 Aug; 27(3-4);294-
300 ; (4) FEBS Lett 1997 Nov 24; 418(1-2):87-90 ; (5) J Invest Dermatol, 1996 Mar 106(3):583-6 ; (6) Mutat Res 1989 Jun 21; 2(2): 213-21
What type of mineral is used in Reflect?
Zinc oxide is the mineral used in Reflect. It has over a 300 year history of safety with no known adverse reactions (which is why it is often used to treat babies). It protects against UVB and UVA spectrum and is the closest thing to a total sunblock on the market today. No other sunscreen ingredient provides broader protection.(1)
(1) Excerpt from : Dr. Pinnell, The J. Lamar Callaway Professor of Dermatology at Duke University, Medical Center, Durham, NC, is a consultant for sunSmart, Wainscott, NY, and SkinCeuticals, Dallas, TX. Dr. Madey is the medical/scientific liaison for SkinCeuticals, Dallas TX.
How to use Reflect
Apply Reflect generously to skin surfaces exposed to sunlight 20 minutes before exposure. Re-apply every two hours.
Reflect Outdoor Balm
A water-free nourishing balm with natural minerals that help reflect damaging ultraviolet radiation. Microfine zinc oxide offers protection from harmful rays whilst organic olive oil keeps the skin supple. Potent antioxidants including natural vitamin E, beta carotene and polygonum extract, protect the skin from premature aging and prevent damage caused by the elements.
We all love the outdoors - nothing makes us feel more alive than having fun in the elements. Whether it be pounding through the salty surf, shooshing down powdery ski runs, or just throwing a ball with the kids in the park; if you're out in the sunshine, you need to protect your skin.
Apply generously to skin surfaces exposed to sunlight 20 minutes before exposure. Reapply every two hours. Store below 30oC / 86oF
Any time you're outdoors, exposed to the elements.
certified organic olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, zinc oxide, certified organic butyrospermum parkii (shea) fruit butter, certified organic unrefined cera alba (beeswax), mixed tocopherols, avena sativa (oat) kernel flour, certified organic copernicia prunifera (carnauba) wax, natural coconut extract, aroma (proprietary blend of essential oils), certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, certified organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, daucus carota (carrot) CO2 extract